Thursday, July 16, 2020

Trying Something New...


Sammy's Beach 2  16 x 20 Oil on Canvas...

I have been looking at Milton Avery Beach Scenes lately and thought I would try one myself....I’m not sure when I first became aware of the work of Milton Avery. They must’ve had some at the Minneapolis Institute of arts in the Walker Art Center which was one of my favorite places to ride my bike to as a teenager. 

But when I was in New York I got to spend some time with an Avery at a clients house. During my second stint at college at Columbia University school of general studies I was employed and taught for the school of bartending the student voting agency and one of the clients who hired me regularly was a psychiatrist and his wife who had an apartment in the 60s and had a small Avery on the wall. I asked him about it he explains at the Museum of modern Art used to have this kind of rental or try before you buy program and so he picked out the Avery and brought it home and lived with it for a little while and decided he wanted to buy it so that’s how we ended up owning it and they entertain quite often I understood their idiosyncrasies and I like them and they liked me so I got to spend a lot of time with the Milton Avery painting and I’ve always aspired to Avery‘s kind of simplicity there’s so much content there with so few brushstrokes I’m sure I was thinking of Avery as I painted this

No comments:

Post a Comment